Regent Square-A little slice of heaven!
egent Square is one of Pittsburghs best-kept secrets! Surrounded by Frick Park it is a quiet, yet energetic neighborhood. Oakland Universities and Hospitals, the Pittsburgh Zoo, The Frick, are all only 15 minutes away. The heart of Regent Square on South Braddock includes an area of village-like shops: Hepatica-unique, high-end florist, designer resale, jewelry, antique shop, karate, Regent Square express store, hair salons, and much much more! The Regent Square Theater (featuring film, and digital media), food & beverage, a Laundromat, Dentists, Doctors, Chiropractor and -- all within a 2 block area! Not to mention the beautiful park (with the all new "dog park") bike and hiking trails, tennis courts, playground and soccer fields, the tree lined red brick streets, the unique architecture (Scheibler is one notable). Site of the Run Around the Square, just off Exit 6 on the parkway East, -- stop by, take a walk, have a nosh, people watch while enjoying some java, and see why everyone that lives here knows it is a little slice of heaven.
A History of the Square, written by Nevin Rhodes
In 1863 Judge William Wilkins acquired a 650 acre L-shaped tract of land in the Eastern environs of Pittsburgh. He eventually hired William Clyde Wilkins (no relation), and architect, to lay out a subdivision to be called the Devon Plan using street names based on the names of his large family and their relations. The plan was recorded in April 1872 and extended from Hutchinson to Forbes Road (Avenue). It was on both sides of what was then called Park Street (now Braddock Avenue) from Richmond Avenue to Trenton Avenue.
In 1910 the Devon Plan was extended to include Trevanion Street and a new southwestern sector. In 1913 William E. Harmon of Brooklyn, NY acquired a southern portion of the Devon Plan, and in 1919 he purchased the remaining portions of the Devon Plan, but he named it Regent Place. Eventually in his promotion materials he named the neighborhood Regent Square and touted it as a select area including Pittsburgh, Wilkinsburg, Swissvale and Edgewood sectors.
1937 "History of Swissvale" contains the following information appropriate to this history: "Owing to the geographical plan of Swissvale, we have one section which seems at times isolated from the rest of the Borough. This section, known as Regent Square, has for some time been dissatisfied and anxious to be taken out of Swissvale and annexed either to Edgewood or the City of Pittsburgh. They made their first attempt to be annexed to the Borough of Edgewood to the Quarter Session Court of Allegheny County on May 11, 1914 and the proceedings were dismissed by the Court on September 25, 1914. A second attempt was made to be annexed to the Borough of Edgewood and the proceedings were dismissed by the Court."
At his time the Borough had a personal tax which seemed to the people of Regent Square very high, and another petition was filed to be annexed to the City of Pittsburgh. At a special election held on March 30, 1918, the annexation was defeated; 266 voting for annexation, and 843 voting against."
In the early states of the development of the Devon Plan,
George Westinghouse encouraged some of his executives to lots in the southwest
section of what is now Regent Square. These large and opulent homes can be seen
throughout that neighborhood alongside many smaller houses, particularly the
famous "Hulley houses" reportedly designed and built for the "working man", and
the distinctive "Scheibler" houses. The homes at
the corner of Trevanion and Milton are some of the examples of Scheiblers' work.
One of the special events conducted by the long-running Regent Square Civic Association has been the popular House Tours of special homes in the four municipalities making up the Square. Other happenings have been holiday socials, picnics in Frick Park, Easter egg hunts, Christmas lighting contests, Halloween parties, garden club meetings, civic and political seminars, block parties and flea markets, and contributions to the upkeep of the Regent Square Community Center.
In relation to Frick Park, there is considerable history
known about it. For instance, Henry Clay Frick bought 150 acres from the Wilkins
estate and willed it to the City of Pittsburgh in 1919; since then the trustee
has built the area to nearly 500 acres. This acreage now contains the Nine-Mile
Run valley where there was fort, a barracks, and a grist mill during the French
and Indian War. On the hill overlooking Regent
"Around the Square", a book published by the Regent Square Civic Association and available for study at the Swissvale, Edgewood, Wilkinsburg libraries, the Carnegie Library in Oakland, and the Western Pennsylvania Historical Society in the strip district of Pittsburgh.
Back to the Square